Saturday, October 20, 2012

Investing in Chinese

Money is important. Investing is easily learned in Chinese.

信用卡 -- credit card
利息 -- interest rate
節省 -- to be frugal [by saving in some way]
到期 -- expire
滿期 -- expire
股票 -- stock
股市 -- stock market
股份 -- stock shares
息 -- dividend
共同基金 -- mutual fund
房地產 -- real estate
投資 -- invest
風險 -- risk
賺 -- earn a profit
賠 -- take a loss
上市公司 -- public company

信用卡快要到期的時候銀行會寄給你新的。
[Your bank will send you a new credit card right as the old one is about to expire].

如果你的銀行想要改你的利息他們隨時都可以。
[If the bank wants to change your interest rates, they can do it anytime].

我買股票,股市大跌。我賣股票,股市大漲。
[When I buy stocks, the market tanks. When I sell, the market skyrockets].

我不要在房地產上投資,我要買房子。
[I don't want to invest in real estate, I want to buy a house!].

上市公司股票的風險比沒有上市的小。
[A public company's stock is less risky than a private company's].

聰明的投資者平常賺錢。快買就賣常常賠錢。
[Smart investors usually make money.  Quickly buying and selling often loses money].

Strengths and Weaknesses -- 優點 缺點



優點 -- strengths, strong points
缺點 -- weaknesses, weak points

雖然我先生的缺點很多,他跟我家人處得不錯。
[Even though my husband is a good for nothing, he still gets along with my family].

你有時候洗馬桶是優點。每天洗三次馬桶是缺點。
[Cleaning your toilet once in a while is a plus.  Cleaning it three times a day is not].

孤單一人快樂,缺點無所謂。
[All alone and still happy, one's faults no longer matter].

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Complements on getting Married

Verb compliments are the key to idiomatic Chinese actions.

娶 -- [male] to marry
嫁 -- [female] to marry

一輩子都嫁不出來。
[You'll never find yourself a husband].

我娶不起講究排場的女人。
[I can't afford to marry a woman who cares about her social standing].

喜宴的菜這麼多,連世界最餓的人都吃不了。
[There's so much food at the wedding banquet that even the hungriest person on earth couldn't finish it all].

我結婚只有三天可是已經受不了了。
[I've only been married for three days and I already can't stand it].

我太太不願意戴眼鏡,看不見烹飪書的食譜。
[My wife is not willing to wear glasses, so she can't read any of the recipes in the cookbook].

夫婦吵架的時候想不開。
[Married couples don't think things through when they're fighting].

他把情婦的肚子又弄大了。
[He got her mistress pregnant again].